Thursday, September 10, 2009

Almost Had a PACKcident!

Well, that was a close call.

Very close.

I haven't opened a pack of cards in about a year - but for some reason I was VERY tempted to pick up a bunch of packs this afternoon at the convenience store... nothing wrong with that, I suppose.

... but I was not being tempted by packs of SP Authentic or tins of The Cup... we're talking $2 packs of 07/8 O-Pee-Chee.

Thankfully, common sense kicked in before it was too late... I had 8 packs picked out... then realized I could buy almost any card I could hope to pull for much less. I then made the realization that I have completely lost my sense of adventure as far as the hobby is concerned. I don't open packs, I don't even splurge on a sealed case of an older product, assuring me several quality hits... I don't even wait for EBay auctions to end anymore before sending my best offer to a seller!

Not much hobby insight there, just an occurrence that shows how times have changed... years ago I would have opted to open a handful of packs instead of buying a high-end single!

What is all the fuss about ITG 1972? I understand, the set allows a certain pocket of collectors to revisit their roots and relive memories of the Summit Series (which countless documentaries, news reports, articles, countdowns and even other card sets have already done), but there is very little originality involved. The design for the main set is great... at least it WAS great when it was originally concieved 37 years ago.

The design of the autograph and game-used cards, once again, look like any other ITG issue made in the past several years - old pictures and little tiny pieces of memorabilia (granted some of that memorabilia is of very cool vintage origin). From what I have seen, the checklist is obscure and many players are making their first appearance on a card since their playing days. I understand how that may resonate well with a select few, but it alienates the vast majority of collectors. I see no reason for anyone born after 1980 to touch a pack of ITG 1972, and that's a stretch, because how many 20 year old collectors would take a concious interest in players who starred a decade before they were born?

I don't understand the appeal... are the good folks at ITG finally running out of ideas? I guess there are only so many ways to make use of the same mugshots that have been in print for years. It is the lack of new, novel ideas that has driven me away from ITG, not their lack of a licensing agreement with the NHL.

Two positives about the product that cannot be ignored: Hard signed autographs and NO SLABS!!!

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree totally on the views posted of 72. I to don't understand the appeal of a set of players that I never actually got a chance to see play, or whom I've never heard of before.
    To me this set would've worked better as just a summit series release with a shorter print run.

    ReplyDelete